Quinoa is a superfood that gets more popular every day. The main reason for this is the fact that this seed offers a great number of health benefits. Quinoa is often mistaken for a grain and can be used as a substitute for rice. However, it is in fact the seed of a plant that is distantly related to beet and spinach. The plant is native to Peru, though nowadays quinoa is cultivated in many other countries.
Organic quinoa benefits are numerous and varied. They are directly connected to the high nutritional value of the seeds. They are considered a superfood for a reason. So you definitely should consider including them in your diet. This won’t be difficult, as apart from the organic seeds, you can find quinoa flour, flakes, breads, and even pasta.
Of course, if you want to get the most out of the benefits this particular superfood has to offer, you should buy high quality organic seeds and cook them properly. This way, they will be easy to digest and you will be able to get all the nutrients from them.
Quinoa Nutrition Facts
In order to understand why exactly this seed is so good for your overall health, you will need to learn a few quinoa nutrition facts:
- It is a good source of dietary fiber.
100 grams of cooked quinoa contain 3 grams of dietary fiber. This constitutes 11% of the healthy daily dose.
- It is rich in potassium. Potassium is an element essential for your overall health as it plays an important part in several biochemical processes. A serving of cooked quinoa will provide you with 5% of the daily dose of this element.
- It’s an excellent source of manganese.
- Manganese is an essential mineral that plays an important part in your bone and skin health. It also helps regulate the level of glucose in your blood. Therefore, a manganese deficiency is a very serious problem. Unfortunately, it is also a very common one as the traditional American diet doesn’t include many foods rich in this mineral. 100 grams of cooked quinoa can provide you with 32% of the necessary daily dose of manganese.
- It’s rich in copper and iron.
These are two very important minerals that affect your health as a whole. Quinoa will provide you with about 10% of the daily dose of both iron and copper.